Wednesday, June 13, 2012

"Waiting on God to Blink"

Recently after a long week of sales calls but no sales for our magazine, Coastal Christian Family Magazine,  I found myself very tired and discouraged.  After talking with Debbie for a long time we both decided that I needed to take the rest of the afternoon and “rest.”  So I went back to my office feeling beat up and discouraged. BUT! I love that word!  But, what happened was a real blessing.  It was a time of renewal, trusting, resting and understanding who God is and who I am!

I took the first few minutes to “not think.”  My little ADD brain was about to explode and I just needed to stop thinking about anything.  It took a while but when I was ready, God began to speak through the quietness, the stillness and the “rest” of the moments that followed.  It was almost as if I could hear him saying “Come unto me Tim – you are tired and heavy – I will give you rest.”  (Matthew 11:25-30). 

In the hours that followed something wonderful happened.  God began to bring scripture to mind that I had been memorizing for a couple of years.  I heard Matthew 6:33, “Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you.”  I could hear Him saying, “But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount of with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.” (Isaiah 40:31)  Then of course Psalm 37:4—6, “Trust in the Lord and do good……feed on His faithfulness…….He shall bring it to pass.”  Read the whole passage – it will bless you!!

As I meditated on these verses I began to feel my spirit rising!  The clouds of worry and discouragement dissipated and God began to me again through the remembrance of Jeremiah 32:17:  “Ah, Lord God!  Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for You.”  He just stretched out His arm and created planet earth!  When I thought about it for a minute or two, again, God began to show me a thing or two.  This thought came coming to me over and over again: “God can do more in the blink of an eye than I can do in an entire lifetime of “trying!”  I had been focusing on what I thought was impossible and not on the one who makes all things possible!

So what happened?  What happens next?  The answers to those questions are simple:  I don’t have a clue.  So here I am today waiting on God to blink!  What am I going to do while I am waiting?  I’ll let you know next time.  HINT:  Read Proverbs 3:5-6

1 comment:

  1. These verses are a family mantra for my children and I.

    Matthew 6:26-34

    26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[a]?

    28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

    ReplyDelete