Monday, January 16, 2012

Against the Wind

I have started working on my body again.  It seems that after all of that hard work I did a couple of years ago that I have now gained most of the weight back.  It seems to be a never ending cycle with me. 

I joined a free gym at a local church which is about 5.25 miles from our house.  This morning I decided that my cardio work out would be to ride my bike to and from the gym.  It’s a beautiful day here: sunny and about 70 degrees.  I started out on my journey and made it to the gym just fine.  It was actually a very relaxing ride.  There are not many hills in Panama City Beach.  I worked out at the gym and was looking forward to riding back to the house.

I started the ride and crossed Front Beach Road.  Then it happened.  I turned the corner.  I turned into a very strong wind.  Suddenly I was pedaling much harder.  I kept going.  As the wind blew stronger it became increasingly harder to move forward.  “I’m Not Giving Up” was playing on my iPod.  I pedaled harder.  Then I started talking to myself. (I have heard that brilliant people talk to themselves!) “Tim, you can do this.  Put one foot down at a time.  That pain in your legs is nothing.  Keep going! Don’t give up!”

I spent much of my life trying to live the Christian life the same way. I pedaled harder and harder and it seemed the harder I pedaled, the slower I moved.  There was something wrong. It was like pedaling against the wind; the wind of self sufficiency!  Then it happened. I turned the corner.

God brought me to a place of brokenness in my life.  I am so thankful that I turned that corner! It was during that time that I discovered what it was like to live with the wind at my back:  the wind of the Spirit of God always moving me where HE wants me to be.  Oh, believe me, I have turned and gone against the wind of the Spirit.  Every time I move against the will of God, live according to my flesh, or just plain rebel against what God wants for me, I experience going AGAINST THE WIND – and it just wears me out!

God designed the Christian life so that the wind blows from behind.  Our job is to go with the flow of the wind of the Spirit.  Life will be less stressful, more enjoyable, and abundant!  (John 10:10)

Isaiah 40:29-31

New King James Version (NKJV)

29 He gives power to the weak,
And to those who have no might He increases strength.
30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary,
And the young men shall utterly fall,
31 But those who wait on the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.

2 comments:

  1. God bless you, Bro. Tim. I love your honesty and candid humility. My mom used to tell me that feeling of being like a "bug on its back" was when she started journeys of growing in grace. So glad He spoke to you on your bike ride. You remind us all that it is the journey that is important. Prepare, stay motivated, put oil in our lamps, our body is our temple and it needs constant repair and loving restoration through Christ Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the measure I use to tell if I'm going the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete